Thursday, August 2, 2012

3-2-1 Oh Scrap...

Holy moly, am I touchy this week! That, and highly irritable.

To the kids:

No, high pitched screaming, even in jest, does not constitute singing.

For some reason, as delusional as it makes me sound, I thought that the choruses of, "Mom he/she keeps bothering me!" would have died down by now. Instead, it's reached a crescendo. What's up with that? For Pete's sake, you're 16, 13, and 12.

And um, how is it even possible that it's more difficult keeping the apartment tidy now, than when you guys were toddlers?

Something's gotta give.

It's like the stars have aligned to make this week unbearably exasperating. And the summer, as in "summer break" is nearly over, too. And that really stinks.

Maybe we've had way too much unscheduled time this summer, and I think that the exhaustion and dis-ease I've been feeling in the past several weeks has made me less diligent at keeping everyone accountable for things. Actually, I'm sure that these are definitely factors. I'd toss them out for extra obligatory outdoor time (read: Mommy alone time), but wonder if that would be construed as a reward. Yes, yes it would. I'm tempted to channel Mr. Bennet.

"...you are never to stir out of doors till you can prove that you have spent ten minutes of every day in a rational manner."

Sigh.

But that would only work with two of them. My middle child has decided that she "doesn't like the sun." I'd have to come up with something else for her. Dishes. Dishes would be perfect.

So yeah, our summer break is soon coming to an end, and frankly, I'm not really looking forward to it. Despite all of the minor annoyances above, I have really enjoyed the summer...as in the heat, the sun exposure, the Summer Olympics(!), everything. Ever since I haven't had any asthma symptoms to speak of, I have been able to not only tolerate, but greatly enjoy, the hot, even muggy weather. That's a first for me. And frankly, I'm already dreading the fall and winter. I think I'll have to get one of those light therapy lamps to tide me over till next summer.

I promise to come back soon to write about our homeschool plans for this coming year with my rising 11th, 8th, and 7th grade students. Should be a crazy busy year.

No comments:

Post a Comment